Charlotte Water is going to implement a Community Benefit Project on the land around the new Stowe Regional Water Resource Recovery Facility. This project will serve as an enriching community amenity for our neighbors. We want to create a vibrant public space and a meaningful community feature that encourages connectedness and well-being in our community.
Creating a Community Vision
Over the past two years, we have been engaging community members in the planning process for this Community Benefit Project. In Spring 2021, we held an Online Community Visioning Workshop and Survey to allow community members to actively engage in the ideation process for the Stowe Community Benefit Project.
One of the primary sentiments shared by community members was their desire to have more access to outdoor recreational opportunities for those who live and go to school in the area. Community members also emphasized the importance of preserving the natural feeling and landscape of this tranquil area.
Snapshot of Survey Results
Using the feedback that we received from community members and our committee members, we partnered with a leading architecture firm to develop and evaluate a range of alternatives for the Community Benefit Project. After carefully consideration of a variety of project options, Charlotte Water has decided to develop a multi-component Community Benefit Project.
The Stowe Community Benefit Project will include:
- An Educational Walking Trail that will be accessible for pedestrians and cyclists and will include interactive educational components.
- A Multi-Use Path along the new entrance road and over the South Access Road Bridge to enhance connectivity of the trail network.
- A Public Meeting Space in the new Stowe administration building that will be available to the public for meetings, workshops, and events.
- A Collaborative Partnership with the Catawba Lands Conservancy to identify and develop future trails and trail connections on the 90 acres Stowe Community Benefit Project land.
- Ongoing Partnerships with nearby schools to support the development of a collaborative STEAM educational program.
Click here to learn more about the Stowe Community Benefit Project.
Charlotte Water strives to create a Community Benefit Project that will increase vibrancy, encourage connectedness, and promote well-being in our Stowe project community. To stay informed about public involvement opportunities related to the Community Project, please sign up for our project updates.